Last month I showed you guys the makeover I did on my sister’s kitchen cabinets and at the end of the post, a few of you might have noticed my comment about her oven. The Rangemaster in her kitchen was inherited when they moved in and was a gloss bottle green with gold features. Not that I don’t like green (it’s actually one of my favourite colours) but it just didn’t go well with the new decor. So I searched the internet for ideas and decided I wanted to spray paint it to a more modern finish.
There are lot’s of options available to you if you want to upcycle your oven but I chose the Rust-oleum BBQ & Oven spray paint as it said it was heatproof up to 650 degrees celsius whereas a lot of the other paints didn’t specify. I bought 2 bottles just in case and began my prep work.
Luckily, the oven had already been cleaned so it was ready for painting straight away. I removed the doors off the main assembly and the drawers. I used masking tape to cover the handles and the glass sections of the doors which I didn’t want to spray and then laid everything out on a dust sheet. When using spray paint it is important to wear a mask to protect yourself. I then shook the spray paint can as directed on the instructions and sprayed fine even strokes over the doors. I did a very light coat to start with and then after 20 minutes did another coat. So that I didn’t get paint splodges everywhere I made sure I was doing lots of little coats rather than one thick one.
All in all, it took about 4 coats to get the finish I wanted. I then left the doors to dry for a full 2-3 hours until they were ready to go back onto the oven. I then screwed everything back on and took the masking tape off the handles. It’s important to note that it take a full 24 hours to cure until you can use the oven again. The matt black finish now looks so much better than the bottle green it was before. My sister was so happy with the final result and so was I. It has brought a new level of sophistication to the room and blends so much better with the grey cabinets around it now. This was definitely one of the more riskier projects I have done but I am very glad I took the plunge as it is so worth it when you see the final product!