I can’t even begin to explain to you how excited I was to try this DIY and believe me there were several failed attempts! I will talk about these in a bit but first let me tell you this is not a super cheap DIY but it is very satisfying. If you have a few hours to spare, a glue gun, lots (and I mean lots) of baubles and a foam wreath then read on…
When I first collected the materials to do this wreath, I began with a wire hanger but when I tried to thread the baubles onto it the wire was too thick to fit the baubles on. As no one sells those horrible flimsy hangers anymore, I thought I would have to give up. However, I went into Hobbycraft and saw these foam wreaths and thought that could work! I already had an assortment of baubles and my trusty glue gun so I began work on my DIY.
Firstly you want to remove all the little clasps that allow you to hang the baubles from the tree as these aren’t needed for the wreath. Next you want to begin with the inner part of your wreath and start gluing the baubles onto the foam. I pressed the bit that stuck out into the foam before gluing it so I knew where I would need to glue. I worked round in a circle until it was finished and also glued in between each bauble as well for extra support. You will need to press quite hard until the glue has partly set otherwise the baubles will just fall off again.
I then did the same on the outside of the wreath because I wanted to use all the big baubles to cover the majority of the wreath. With regards to the colour scheme I went for a mixtures of pinks and threw in some silver and white as well to break up the colour. Once the inner and outer rings had been completed, I set about filling in all the gaps. Stupidly, I bought mini baubles to do this part which I would advise against! I suggest you use larger baubles and then buy some mini or smaller ones just to fill in the little gaps at the end. Slowly but surely you want to build up your wreath until all the foam is covered. I also added extra layers of baubles in places it wasn’t needed just to give it a fuller look. It really is just a case of gluing until your heart’s content!
To finish my wreath off I glued a piece of ribbon to the back so I could hang it on my door. This wreath is going in my bedroom to bring a bit of festive cheer to the room and I am so pleased with the finished result. It took a lot longer than I thought and I had to buy extra baubles to finish it but in the end I think it worked really well. Let me know if you’ve tried this before and how you got around the issues you encountered. I’d love to know your thoughts and see your pictures. I’ll see you all again tomorrow for another day of DIY! Happy Crafting!